Per state law, all redevelopment agencies were to adhere to legal standards in carrying out redevelopment activities. However, it is important to note that every redevelopment agency had different goals and objectives in carrying out their redevelopment activities. Each redevelopment agency attempted to address its own particular set of issues and opportunities consistent with local community values.
- Blight: Areas and/or structures of a community which constitute either physical, social or economic liabilities requiring redevelopment in the interest of the health, safety and general welfare of the people of the community and the state
- Project Area: The area which is designated in the redevelopment plan for redevelopment and revitalization
- Redevelopment: Planning, development, re-planning, redesign, clearance, reconstruction or rehabilitation of all or part of a project area
- Redevelopment Agency: The governing body created to designate redevelopment project areas, supervise and coordinate planning for a project area and implement the development program
- Redevelopment Plan: Plan for revitalization and redevelopment of land within the project area in order to eliminate blight and remedy the conditions which caused it